Tuesday, October 26, 2010

O Captain! My Captain!

Alright folks. Now it's time for the second installment regarding my early teaching experience. This time I won't be focusing as much on my students as I will on myself....The Educator. The Teacher. The Sensei.

Despite the title of this post, I'm not going to make any drastic claims about the impact I've had so far on my students. And I'm certainly not going to suggest I've been anything close to a John Keating (for the record, Deads Poet's Society is one of my most favorite movies ever). Though, knowing the energy of my kids, I'm guessing they will eventually end up standing on their desks at some point, whether it is to my liking or not.

my students WILL be calling me their captain by the time this is all over

But still I feel I've learned, adapted, and progressively become a better teacher these past few weeks. Key to making these improvements was learning some valuable lessons. The first lesson I learned, in regards to dealing with my younger Treehouse classes, was that I needed to fight fire with fire. What I mean by this is that I quickly realized I needed to match their energy level. I was simply overwhelmed my first few days of teaching them with how hyper-active they were. Being mellow and laid-back like I am, it was tough for me to embrace all the madness of the classroom.

But alas I found the answer. Coffee. Now most of you know drinking coffee is nothing new to me. For the last couple years I drank it religiously in the mornings just so I could function. However, once I arrived in Southeast Asia, I had done a pretty good job of kicking the habit. Perhaps because the coffee was so crappy in Phnom Penh, or perhaps because I understood the need to beat my addiction, I sort of went cold turkey ("cold turkey" here meaning I still indulged once in a while, but certainly not a daily thing).

Well, these kids really take it out of you. They pushed me off the wagon, and I'm back on the stuff. I now have an internal clock that alerts me everyday around 4:10 that I need a caffeine kick (in the form of a very strong Americano); something to boost my energy level and prepare myself for battle with the young ones. And I must confess that this has worked very well. It is much easier to teach and control them when your energy is close to being on the same wavelength as theirs. And plus, they love the enthusiasm...whether it be natural or substance-induced.

Treehouse 7 class...see what I was saying about the energy?

Treehouse 3...even more insane than 7.

I'm also learning to be a hard-ass when I need to be. Most of the times, especially when I'm working with a CT (Chinese Teacher), I am able to take it easy when it comes to disciplining students. Normally the CTs are much harsher on the kids than the NSTs tend to be (which is not to sound judgmental, since after all that is their job). And in fact, I really like it that way. The result of this is usually a sort of "good cop bad cop" scenario, where I typically end up being liked simply because I don't come down on them as hard or as often.

HOWEVA (as Stephen A. Smith would say), when there is no CT around, and I am on my own, I've learned I have to, well, sort of be a dick. I wouldn't say that I necessarily become a mean teacher when I'm on my own, but I definitely find myself being less tolerant of putting up with their shenanigans. I learned quickly that unless you punish disobedience early on in your classes, the kids will lose respect for you and before long, be walking all over you. Instead you need to make them respect your authori-tah (apologies again for yet another vague South Park reference). Yesterday I learned the effectiveness of the minute-long stare down with one of my devil children, Mike. After Mike had screwed around for about the 10th time, and broken the camel's back, I stopped class and just stared at him...clearly disappointed and frustrated. For the first 15 seconds, Mike was smiling. After 30, the smile faded. After 45, I could literally see him squirming under my gaze...obviously not enjoying all the attention, and clearly uncomfortable (which is ironic, considering it seems that he is desperate for attention). After a minute, I felt I had done enough. And sure enough, Mike was much better behaved the rest of class. Victory: Teacher Andrew.


In general, I've also learned to do my own thing when it comes to lesson-planning. Sure, there's pre-made lessons for every class. But I'm starting to realize that these lesson plans are basically the equivalent to what "parlay" is for the Pirates of the Caribbean: "more guidelines than actual rules." I play around with these lesson plans, switching up the orders, omitting some things (c'mon, these kids only want to sing so many freaking songs), and adding other things such as review games (already talked about how they go ape for those). I mean I still rely on the lesson plans a lot, so I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm reinventing the wheel. But I'm definitely learning the benefits of tweaking things a bit.

But this is all starting to sound like I've already mastered this whole teaching thing,  and that I am the most comfortable, fluid teacher when I'm up in front of the kids. And I definitely don't want to give that impression. On the contrary, I've been pretty uncomfortable at times, and I've noticed some tendencies I have as a teacher. Some very weird, quirky tendencies.

I suppose all teachers have them. I used to have a knack for picking them out and making fun of my past teachers for them. Anyone that went to high school with me would know about Mr. Hardy's half-sniff half- laugh. Or Mr. Anderson's signature adages like "save it for Saturday night". Or Mr. Stevens' awkward pelvic thrust movement. Even in college, I remember how Professor Snetsinger would become bobble head-like when he got really excited talking about history. Or how Dr. Call talked like he was a radio DJ. Or how Professor Hopper would showcase his wit and dry humor by adlibbing over movies he would show us in class.

Well now the tables have turned. And I'm one of those goofy guys with goofy habits.

The first one I've noticed really isn't anything new to me. I've always had an issue with talking too fast, and often running over my words. I remember the first time my friend Becky brought this to my attention in high school. She described it as "your brain just getting so excited your poor tongue can't keep up". Whatever the case, it's definitely something I do. My T3 class alerted me to this on the very first day ("teacher you talk too fast!") So, in order to better help them learn, I've deliberately slowed down my speech. But since this isn't really all that natural for me, the result is that most of the time I sound like a robot when I'm trying to explain things. And when I talk naturally, I sound like Speedy Gonzalez on meth. Needless to say, I'm still looking for that "in between" balance. I'll let you know when I find it.

The second thing I've noticed is this stupid sound I make whenever I try and elicit answers from students. I ask a question. I wait. No one answers. So I say "hmm?" without hesitation. I don't know why I do this. I wish I would do something else. But it just pops out of me, like it's a symptom of Tourette's. And the worst part is none of the students understand that this is me trying to get them to participate, they just stare at me in total confusion. It's ironic that as an English teacher I can't use actual English to get my kids involved.

And the third thing I've noticed is that I constantly tap my marker against things...the whiteboard, students' desks, my books, my leg, anything really. Call it a nervous tick, call it boredom, call it me trying to express myself musically, call it whatever. But it's one of those things I don't realize I'm doing until it's too late. I'll look up to see that my students aren't so much interested in doing the workbook exercises I assigned them as they are with checking out the latest drum solo I just burst out into. Epic fail.

Anyways, there was a sneak peek into my very young career as an educator...the highs and the lows. Undoubtedly much will change in the upcoming 11 months. I'll keep you updated on the developments that take place.