Sunday, April 10, 2011

What Should I Do?


Ever since Nike released this commercial, where Lebron vainly attempted to justify his nationally-televised backstabbing of the Cleveland faithful, this one line has become the punch-line to many jokes. A number of parties have created responses to the ad. Michael Jordan released his own rendition, which accuses Lebron of making excuses. Disgruntled Cavaliers fans went a similar route. And naturally South Park also got in on the action. It’s been so parodied at this point that whatever purpose Lebron may have originally had for making the commercial has been long lost. Instead of portraying the conflicted emotions and self-reflection of basketball’s greatest superstar, it’s simply become an infamous rhetorical question as well as the subject of much ridicule and criticism, devoid of any deeper meaning.

I’ve now been in Taiwan for just about 6 months. I’m almost exactly halfway through my contract. Perhaps it’s still early enough that I don’t have to make a decision for what’s to come next quite yet, but that time-frame is quickly closing. Although I do feel extremely settled, content, and comfortable with Taiwan life, it certainly doesn’t feel like I’ve already been here 6 months. By my estimation, these next 6 months will fly by even faster than the first 6 have, and then I’ll be forced to ask myself that all important “what’s next?” question once more.

So seriously, what should I do?

I have to admit that the original plan for Taiwan was to be one-and-done, like an NCAA basketball superstar putting in his time before moving on to the pros. 

 However the certainty in this decision has been a bit shaken recently. Now that I’ve become rather assimilated to Taiwan life, and I’ve more or less become comfortable with the mass crowds and uncanny weather, this place has started to feel far too much like home to me. 

I’ve developed a good group of friends here. I love where I live, smack dab in the middle of a pretty happening ShiDa area. Through teaching and reachtoteach socials, I’ve developed a good group of friends who I can go out with during my free time. I’ve picked up that second job conducting interviews for reachtoteach. And on top of that, I now spend my Saturday afternoons coaching a youth baseball team, which may perhaps be the highlight of my week (you can take me away from SLO Parks and Rec, but you can’t take the youth coach out of me). 

As for teaching, there are good days and there are bad days. But I’ve been finding recently that the good always seems to outweigh the bad. Even if I’m bummed about having to go into work that day and feeling absolutely exhausted as I prep for class, the minute I walk into the classroom and receive that warm “hello Teacher Andrew/T.A./Teacher Angel!” greeting, it’s like I catch my second wind. 

Of course at the same time, I do miss aspects of home living—family, friends, BEAU. And even if I decide to continue teaching for another 6 months-1 yr., part of me is thinking that I should go somewhere else and explore as much of Asia as I can while I’m still young (Thailand is currently on the mind).

Needless to say, I’m very torn. But, unlike Lebron, I don’t intend this to be rhetorical. I could really use some feedback.

What should I do?