Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holidays in the Bay

Homesick. It's an emotion all of us have experienced at one point or another. You suddenly feel a strong longing to be reacquainted with all that is familiar to you from your past---home, family, friends, experiences. Somehow in that period of time when you're feeling homesick, you firmly believe the only cure to make you feel better is reconnecting in some way with all that you've left behind. Sometimes this emotion washes over us quickly; other times it lingers over our heads and keeps us in a state of perpetual sadness.

Well, I've got a confession to make. Since leaving for Southeast Asia nearly 3 months ago today (in fact, 3 months as of this Friday) , I really can't say I've felt very homesick. Undoubtedly I've missed things about home at times (namely Sportscenter, my family, and Beau...among other things), but to say that I've been depressed would surely be an exaggeration. I'm sure that things like Skype and Facebook and even this blog have helped make that possible. Through those outlets I've been able to stay connected with loved ones not only back home but all over the globe. It's hard to believe I'm actually thousands of miles away from everyone. But the main reason--I'm loving it here in Southeast Asia. Do I think I'll stay forever? No. Am I happy I've made this decision and am I enjoying this unique experience? Absolutely.

However, that said, even before I departed for Cambodia at the end of August, I knew there was going to be one time of year that would be especially tough on me--the Thanksgiving thru New Years holiday season. As is the case with most people, these holidays hold particular sentimental value to me. Family is gathered, decorations are out, and traditions are honored. It's the perfect time of year for being with loved ones and indulging in fantastic food and drink.

Truthfully, the one thing that had been keeping me from getting too caught up in what I was going to be missing this holiday season was the fact that my best friend from back home, Chris, was also planning on being abroad for that time period. I figured that if someone else close to me would be missing out on the same festivities, it would make it easier. I wouldn't be the only one missing. However, ever since Chris broke the news to me that he was returning from Spain due to lack of employment opportunities, and that he would in fact be "home for the holidays", I haven't been able to stop thinking about all the things I will be missing. Again, I'm hesitant to use the word homesick. But I definitely think "a little bummed" would be a fitting title. So without further ado, the things I will be missing most about the Holiday Season in the Bay:

Pumpkin Pie
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan on Thanksgiving food. I know this sounds blasphemous, but it's the truth. I am a big fan of stuffing, and I think mashed potatoes are decent, but normally the Turkey is a little too dry for my liking. HOWEVER, nothing beats Pumpkin Pie. I'm a fiend for that stuff. Especially when you add whip cream to the mix. And if I can find pumpkin pie here over the holiday season, you can bet I'll be willing to pay a boatload for it. (Come to think of it, if I can find raspberry/boysenberry pie, I'd do the same. Also a big fan of those).

The mini-Christmas Tree delivery day at the Lovaglia's
Really, any day is special when you spend it at the Lovaglia household. I have too many cherished memories of that place to count. But one of my most favorite past-times was the day, about 3 weeks before X-mas, where about 30 miniature Christmas trees were delivered to their front lawn. As is the tradition in our neighborhood, these trees are placed on the front lawns of everyone's house to add a certain Christmas Spirit to our block. When I was just a youngin, I remember loving to ride in the back of the pick-up truck with the fellow neighborhood children thinking I was so cool and important, jumping out in stylish fashion, and then showing off some muscles as I delivered Christmas tree after Christmas tree. And the best part--after our hard work us boys were rewarded with seemingly endless delicious home-made pastries, hot chocolate, and apple cider. Nothing signaled the coming of Christmas quite like the delivery of the trees and the full belly from yummy food.

Advent Calendars
A cherished Ghiossi family tradition. If heaven forbid us boys don't each have one during a given Christmas season, you might as well call the whole holiday off. They're as much a part of Christmas as the tree or the lights out front. And plus, it's the chance to start every December day off with chocolate. Yes, chocolate. 'Nuff said.

The Ghiossi-Family-College-Football-Bowl-Betting-Extravaganza
Us Ghiossis are competitive by nature. Growing up in a house with 3 brothers, I feel I didn't really have much of a choice in the matter. It was instilled in me at a young age. However, I'm not sure any competition (save maybe March Madness) gets us as riled up as our college football bowl game pool. Games that are otherwise meaningless like the Meineke Car Care Bowl featuring two mediocre teams become important in our household. Everyone gathers around the TV, eats some snacks and enjoy some drink while dabbling in a little trash-talk with the rest of the family. In fact, I love this tradition so much that even though I'm not going to be home (and that I haven't watched a minute of college football all year), I'm still going to pay the $5 to be involved--even if that means I won't be seeing my winnings for some time (it's never about the money, ALWAYS about the bragging rights). After all, after my unprecedented success the last few years, I highly doubt my distance from home will stop me from taking home the trophy yet again (and the trash-talking begins...)

Christmas Eve
All things considered, I may enjoy this day even more than Christmas itself. I could go through and detail all the things we do that night, but really the things I enjoy most are the gift exchange (especially since Caroline has a knack for picking my name and giving me really awesome gifts), and playing monopoly/yahtzee late into the night with my brothers. And if I'm lucky, I'll even have a little southern comfort and egg nog--another cherished holiday treat.

New Years Eve with the Crew
When I think back on what I've done for New Years the past...well, 10-11 years, it's amazing to realize that most of the people I've spent it with have remained the same. In high school we normally hung out at Nicole's house, enjoyed a little champagne and maybe a celebratory cigar, and inevitably made a mess (thank you for putting up with us over all these years Russ and Juli...you are saints). Once we turned 21, we set our sights on celebrating with style and going to either downtown Campbell or Mountain View. Wherever we were or whatever we were doing, the group remained mostly consistent. It will certainly be a weird feeling when I usher in 2011 and won't have my best friends to toast with. This may call for a group skype date...

Christmas Day Lounging
And then of course there's Christmas Day--my most favorite holiday. Giving and receiving gifts never gets old. And with all the good food available, I could literally eat 10,000 calories without breaking a sweat or thinking twice. Really this day isn't so much about what we do, but what we don't do. Normally just sit around in our pajama pants all day and enjoy each other's company and endless plates of hors d'ouevres (mozzarella sticks are my personal favorite). Around mid-afternoon my Aunt Jackie and Aunt Carol arrive, and with them comes great company and my Aunt Carol's famous chips and dip---which I've loved ever since I can remember. We watch some football or basketball, throw on a movie at night, and then drink and be merry and play games in the evening. It may not sound like much, but the combination of family, relaxation, and amazing food is truly incredible. Nothing beats it.

Well, there it is. Surely there are other things I love about the holiday season, but these definitely top the list. And of course it's not like I'm not going to enjoy the holidays here. They will still be lots of fun, and I'm so so grateful to be having company over Christmas. But let's just say I'll definitely love being back for the holiday season 2011.

Oh, and if you enjoyed me reminiscing and sharing traditions and memories, check back in on July 3rd. I'm sure at that point I'll be doing more of the same as I talk about how bummed I'll be about missing the 4th of July, my second favorite holiday.

Cheers.