Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Girl In Waiting

I walked to the store today after class. Just a normal Tuesday, thankfully off at 6:30 as opposed to 9. But something felt off. My backpack, which is basically an extension of myself now (as I carry it literally everywhere I go), felt heavier. I'm now so familiar with the damn thing that I can sense even the slightest weight difference or change in balance. "What could it be?" I think to myself. Not my notebook---I leave that at school now so as to save my back ( I love my dad, but sharing his chronic back problem when I'm older is not something I'm trying to achieve). But then I realize what it is. I'm hiding a new love in my backpack; a love that's been passed on to me, now about to date her third straight Hess employee. Despite her reputation for "getting around", I'm excited for the chance to get to know this girl. Hey, she even sounds the sexy type. After all, she's got a dragon tattoo.

Living in Taiwan has allowed me to enjoy some of the more simple pleasures in life. One of those has been reading. I always knew I liked to read, but somehow found it difficult to "read for pleasure" when I was constantly bombarded with "reading for school" (aka hundreds of lengthy and detailed historical primary sources). Needless to say, school kinda drained the fun out of reading for me. It was a chore--not a hobby or interest. But being over here has allowed me to rediscover this passion. Since arriving in Cambodia, I've burned through 6 books, all of which I've thoroughly enjoyed.

And so now I have this Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my hands. Everyone from family back home to co-workers here in Taiwan has been raving about her. I hear she is riveting and exciting, though not exactly the "wham bam" type. It sounds like I will have to invest some serious time in this relationship before I understand all her amazing attributes; before I fall in love with her. She'll be nothing like I, Alex Cross, the book I read almost entirely today so just so I could move on to this girl.

And the best part, she's a cheap date (aka "free" thanks to my wonderful co-worker Lisa and her generously letting me borrow her).

My first date with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is tomorrow. I can't wait to get this relationship started.